Combating Hatred DVD
This DVD is a curriculum-based resource for Grade 10 Civics, and Grade 11 and 12 Law teachers. The material is designed to stimulate class reflection, discussion and debate on issues such as hatred, hate crimes, discrimination, racism and human rights. The materials have been developed to create a resource which provides ideas and activities for enhancing student understanding of these controversial topics. The specific focus centres on strategies for combating hatred.
On this DVD you will find excerpted sections from the second bi-annual University of Toronto Faculty of Law conference entitled: Combating Hatred in the 21st Century: Balancing Rights, Freedoms, and Responsibilities, held November 12, 2007. The video clips selected from this conference feature commentary from judges, lawyers, politicians, professors and community organizers, speaking about strategies to combat hatred. The video clips have been organized into 7 sections which address various topics including the perspectives of the media, law students, and the justice system.
Video-clips have been divided into 7 sections, each with corresponding lesson plans and activities in the form of file attachments. Within each of the 7 sections of file attachments you will find:
Specific Clip Summaries
Pre-Viewing Discussion Questions
Post-Viewing General Discussion Questions and Activities
Clip-specific Discussion Questions
Civics and Law Curriculum Expectations.
To request a free copy of OJEN’s Combating Hatred DVD, please send your name, mailing address and school name by email to email@example.com.
Date Produced: 2008
- DVD Content: Lesson Plans and Handouts
- 1. Hate in Canadian Society: Is the Justice System Helping?
- 2.1 Nature & Impact of Hate and Hate Crimes - Strategies for Resisting Hatred
- 2.2 Nature & Impact of Hate and Hate Crimes - Responding to Hate Through Legal Institutions
- 2.3 Nature & Impact of Hate and Hate Crimes - Biographies and Clip Summaries
- 3.1 The Role of the Media - Media-Centred Democracy
- 3.2 The Role of the Media - Racism and Canadian Society
- 3.3 The Role of the Media - Bias, Stereotyping and Responsible Reporting
- 3.4 The Role of the Media - Media Portrayal of Controversial Issues
- 3.5 The Role of the Media - Biographies and Clip Summaries
- 4.1 Domestic Implications of International Issues - Rule of Law, International Obligations
- 4.2 Domestic Implications of International Issues - War on Terror and Social Change, Human Rights
- 4.3 Domestic Implications of International Issues - Biographies and Clip Summaries
- 5.1 Courageous Conversations - Role of Students in Combating Hatred
- 5.2 Courageous Conversations - Biographies and Clip Summaries
- 6.1 The Justice System Responds - Justice Sector Responses to Hatred
- 6.2 The Justice System Responds - Promoting and Protecting Human Dignity
- 6.3 The Justice System Responds - Landmark Canadian Cases That Have Addressed Hatred
- 6.4 The Justice System Responds - Biographies and Clip Summaries
- 7.1 Remembering the Past, Building the Future - Prominent Canadians
- 7.2 Remembering the Past, Building the Future - Biographies and Clip Summaries