OJEN Grade 5 Poster Challenge
The OJEN Grade 5 Poster Challenge is a great opportunity for grade five students to learn and demonstrate an understanding of the rights of Canadians. Teachers can use the challenge to educate students about the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and meet the Grade 5 Ontario curriculum expectations - People and Environments: The Role of Government and Responsible Citizenship
Students create posters that express what they value about Canadian democracy and the Charter. All students will receive a certificate for participating. Selected regional posters will be hung in a local courthouse or be otherwise displayed as part of OJEN's Art in the Courts Program.
- The contest is open to all English and French Grade 5 classes in Ontario.
- The deadline for teachers to register classes with OJEN is Friday November 27, 2015.
- The deadline for poster submission is Friday December 11, 2015. Registered teachers will receive information from OJEN about where to send or drop off class posters in their community.
- Remember to download the lesson plans below to help introduce or revisit the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and to introduce the Poster Challenge to your classroom.
- Lesson Plan 1 and 2 have been borrowed from educational series, That’s Not Fair! created independently by the Canadian Civil Liberties Association (CCLA). The videos used for both lessons can be found on the series website http://thatsnotfair.ca. You can find out more about the CCLA by visiting their website https://ccla.org.