The Poster Challenge invites grade 5 students to create posters that express what they value about Canadian democracy and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. It meets Grade 5 Ontario curriculum expectations in Social Studies in a fun and effective way.
A selection of posters will be included in OJEN’s Art in the Courts program – an initiative designed to highlight positive community involvement with our courts. Each year students’ posters are selected and sent to courthouses across the province to make courthouses a more welcoming and friendly place for children and families.
2023-2024 Poster Challenge
Registration closes on Friday, December 15th.
How to Participate
- The contest is open to all English and French Grade 5 classes in Ontario.
- Please register using the link above.
- All posters must be 11×17 in size.
- Use regular paper, poster paper or bristol board.
- Posters can be in English, French, or both.
- You may choose to teach the optional lesson plans that you can download below (CCLA TNF Lesson Plans 1 & 2) to support your students as they plan their creations. These help young people to define what fundamental principles of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms are the most meaningful to them, personally.
- The “Art and the Courts Teacher’s Guide” contains suggestions for a real or virtual class trip focused on how justice principles are translated into artistic works, including previous winners of the poster challenge.
- Encourage your students to make colorful, unique artwork.
- Download the parental consent form below.
- Print and distribute the parental consent form to your students to have it filled out by their parent(s) or guardian(s). If needed, the form can also be filled or signed digitally using the free Adobe Acrobat Reader on computers, or Android and Apple devices.
- Scan each poster and the corresponding parental consent form at the same time so they are enclosed in the same file. The name of the file must include the name of the school, the name of the teacher and the name of the student.
- Attach the files to an email which subject should be written as follows: POSTER CHALLENGE_NAME OF SCHOOL_NAME OF TEACHER.
- Please send your posters to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, December 15th.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.